New Customers | Existing Customers

Get a free quote

Existing customers please call
Click here to close

European Car Insurance

If you’re planning to drive abroad in Europe, you will need European car insurance. We offer cover for up to 365 days so you’re protected all year round.

Trustpilot logo
Rated Great
Rated ‘Great’ based on 9,820 reviews
European car insurance from just £495 per year!

Can I drive in Europe with UK car insurance? 

All UK car insurance provides you with the minimum third party cover to drive in the following countries:

  • the EU (including Ireland)
  • Andorra
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Iceland
  • Liechtenstein
  • Norway
  • Serbia
  • Switzerland

However, you should always check with your insurer to see if your policy has extra cover for damage and the theft of your vehicle whilst you’re abroad, as this doesn’t come as standard.  

If you have a comprehensive insurance policy in the UK, third party EU cover is often included as standard, but it’s best to check this before you travel.

Please note: third party insurance only covers you for damage caused to someone else’s vehicle. If you get into an accident, you won’t be able to claim for repairs to your own vehicle on your policy. Taking out European car insurance with us can increase this cover to fully comprehensive.

The benefits of getting a policy with Sterling

European car insurance is the best way to ensure your car is covered when driving abroad and Sterling can provide you with an affordable policy that covers you all year round. 

All we need is your car information and driving history, and we can help get you a better price than what you may have been offered from other insurers.

For our best prices, call us. We have access to a wide panel of insurance providers, and can find a deal that matches your needs and your budget.

Cover available for any UK-registered vehicle

We offer cover for any UK-registered vehicle when driving abroad, no matter what make and model it is.

Green Cards can be issued for EU countries and beyond

If you’re driving across Europe or further afield, you may want to look into dedicated Green Card cover ahead of your trip. This motor insurance certificate is proof that a motorist has adequate cover for the country they are travelling in. 

Options for short term cover (7 days, one, two or three months) and long term (annual)

We can help whether you need short-term cover for seven days, up to 30 days, or even a few months. You could be buying a new car, borrowing a van or sharing the driving. Whatever your reason, we will find temporary car insurance that fits your needs.

For drivers aged 21 years or over

Our European car insurance cover is strictly for those aged 21 and over. 

European breakdown cover, keycare, misfuelling, windscreen (optional extras)

We offer optional extras to anyone who takes out policies with us, such as windscreen cover, misfuelling, keycare and European breakdown cover should your vehicle stop working whilst abroad. 

Free legal cover up to £100,000

Our legal cover is a standard feature in our car insurance policies, whether you purchase annual or short-term insurance. So if you are ever involved in an accident that isn’t your fault, it can help you recover any out of pocket expenses afterwards.

Claims hotline open 24/7

Sterling’s claim line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need to make a claim, we will be here for your call.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

Frequently asked questions

Like driving in the UK, you should organise European breakdown cover before travelling abroad to cover you should the worst happen.

Our breakdown insurance is similar to those provided by the AA and the RAC and will get you back on the road in no time.

We offer various types of European breakdown cover, including policies if your car breaks down within the European Economic Area (EEA) and on our list of non-European countries.

It is legal to drive in European Union countries as well as Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein with a valid photocard licence issued in the UK.

That changes if you’re travelling outside of Europe, you have a paper licence, or your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man. In these cases, you might need an International Driving Permit (IDP). 

You can find a full list of what you need when travelling on the government website. 

The items you legally need will depend on which country you’re visiting. For example, French laws are different from German driving rules and regulations, so it’s always worth planning what you need in each country, before you head off on your journey. 

Items you will most likely need, but are not limited to:

  • Valid passport
  • Car insurance certificate
  • Car’s original registration document (V5C)
  • UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)
  • Travel insurance

You will not need to carry a green card with you when driving in the EU, Ireland, Norway, Serbia, Switzerland, Iceland, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina or Liechtenstein, however you will need to have valid car insurance.

If you are going to be driving outside of those countries, or even in the EU in general, we recommend you take a green card with you, as this is proof you have the correct cover in place and avoids any legal implications. We issue the document for free with our cover. 

You may also need to carry a green card to drive in other countries, including:

  • Albania
  • Azerbaijan
  • Moldova
  • Turkey
  • Ukraine

European car insurance will allow you to freely travel in Europe in your own vehicle, without the worry of not having the correct cover in place. This cover is a legal requirement when visiting other countries, which means you must organise the right cover before you go on your travels. 

Our policies can last for up to 365 days, should you require a longer period of EU car insurance. However, your fully comprehensive insurance with us will initially cover you for 30 days per annum.

We’re also able to provide specialist policies for cover in the following countries:

  • Albania
  • Moldova
  • Morocco
  • Turkey

Even better deals over the phone

Our best policies and prices do not appear on price comparison sites and are not available online.

So let us compare prices with the levels of cover available. We’ll take quotes from multiple insurance providers to ensure you get the very best deal.

Help is here when you need it

Sterling’s claim line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you ever need to make a claim, someone will be here for you at the other end of the phone.

Our staff are based in the UK

Whether you’re calling for a quote or want to make a claim, our staff are based in the UK and ready for your call.

As soon as you agree the policy terms, your insurance can be issued on the same day.

30 years’ experience in the industry

Our senior staff have been working in the insurance industry for 30 years.

It means we can help if you need to find cover for situations or circumstances that are a bit more specialist.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

New Customers
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.
Read more