New Customers | Existing Customers

Get a free quote

Existing customers please call
Click here to close
Motorhome and couple enjoying the piece of quiet of the countryside

Self-Drive Hire Insurance for Motorhomes and Campervans

Legally make money from hiring out your motorhome or campervan, with the security of knowing your pride and joy is protected and peace of mind that your self-drive hire insurance is valid and comprehensive.

Trustpilot logo
Rated Great
Rated 'Great' based on 9,820 reviews
Trustpilot logo
Rated Great
Rated ‘Great’ based on 9,820 reviews
Self-Drive Hire Insurance for Motorhomes and Campervans

What is self-drive hire insurance?

Self-drive hire insurance is a type of policy that provides you with insurance cover in the event you want to hire out your vehicle. We offer a short period or annual insurance policy for those wanting to rent out their motorhome.

Earn money by renting out your motorhome

Did you know that for every day you leave your motorhome at home, you could be earning between £60 and £150 to rent it out? A 4-berth Swift Motorhome, a classic Volkswagen Camper and other makes and models can be great money earners. Renting out your motorhome also allows other people to experience the joys of using a camper.

So call us today – our best prices are available over the phone.

The benefits of getting a policy with Sterling

As an insurance broker, we can tailor your insurance policy to your needs. And if you’re already a Sterling customer, we even offer discounts on your campervan rental insurance and motorhome hire insurance.

  • Up to £2,000 for personal belongings cover
  • Up to £1,000 for awning cover
  • Business use available
  • Camper conversions (including self-builds) can be covered
  • Cover for imported motorhomes (Japan, USA, EU)
  • Left-hand drive cover
  • Like-for-like cover on modifications

Frequently asked questions

Don’t worry – we offer comprehensive campervan hire insurance and motorhome rental insurance for your vehicle, so even in the event something goes wrong, we’ll help cover the damages.

In most cases, vehicles don’t do well if they’re left unused for months on end. This means that hiring out your vehicle can help prevent your motorhome from falling foul to the usual issues that occur from disuse. You know the ones we mean: flat tyres, drained batteries, iced water systems and hardened rubber belts are just a few of them.

Instead of your motorhome sitting on the driveway building rust, hiring out your motorhome is an excellent way of making extra money while ensuring your pride and joy gets all the adventure she deserves!

We offer discounts for the following:

  • Owners club or forum members: if you’re a member of a vehicle club, let us know and you could get 15% off your insurance premiums.
  • Discounts for NVQ safe driving qualifications and PCV drivers: extra training and experience driving larger vehicles like minibuses or buses will help reduce your insurance premiums.
  • Discounts for classics: we work with a range of classic vehicle insurance providers, allowing us to get great deals for classic motorhome insurance.
  • Discounts for security: category 1 alarm systems, trackers and immobilisers help keep your vehicle safe on the go, meaning we can offer insurance discounts.

Almost anyone can hire out your vehicle, so long as they have a valid licence, whether they’re locals with the travel bug or classic motorhome enthusiasts. So long as the driver is over 25, has a clean driving record and meets our requirements, you don’t even need to call us each time you hire it out on an annual policy.

And the best bit? Your annual policy covers up to 30 hires a year, allowing you to hire out your motorhome regularly.

Getting a quote couldn’t be any easier.

Looking for a way to escape this year without the commitment of owning your own motorhome or campervan? We have more information on how to hire a motorhome.

Yes, we offer short-term or temporary self-drive hire insurance. This is ideal if you want to try renting out your motorhome or you only rent it out certain times of the year. With Sterling, your cover can range from three days to an annual policy.

We provide cover for all types of vehicles, with a few exceptions:

  • Maximum vehicle value of £80,000
  • Engine capacity up to 4-litres
  • Up to 8 seats

It’s always best to ensure your motorhome is secure. If you own a high-value vehicle, we might require you to install additional layers of security, such as a tracker. Adding extra security to your vehicle can help to reduce your insurance premiums and helps keep your motorhome safe while it’s being rented out.

So long as the festival allows it, we see no issues with this!

If you rent your vehicle to someone under 25, they will need to arrange their own short-term policy to ensure they’re covered.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

Sterling does the hard work for you

We think our quotation service is one of the swiftest in the business and your policy will be issued on the same day you agree the deal.

Let us compare the prices with the levels of cover. We’ll take quotes from multiple insurance providers to ensure you get the very best deal.

Help is here when you need it

Sterling’s claim line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If an insurance customer needs to make a claim, we’ll be here for you. Be assured there will be a sympathetic ear at the end of the phone.

Our staff are based in the UK

Whether you’re calling for a quote or want to make a claim, our staff are based in the UK and ready for your call.

As soon as you agree the policy terms, your insurance can be issued on the same day.

30 years’ experience in the industry

Our senior staff have been working in the insurance industry for 30 years.

It means we can help if you need to find cover for situations or circumstances that are a bit more specialist.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

New Customers
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.
Read more