New Customers | Existing Customers

Get a free quote

Existing customers please call
Click here to close

French Car Insurance for Expats

If you would like to drive your UK-registered vehicle while you’re living in France, Sterling can find cover for you. We can cover your car, van or campervan whether you’re retired, working or simply enjoying a different way of life. Prices start from £325.

Trustpilot logo
Rated Great
Rated 'Great' based on 9,820 reviews
Trustpilot logo
Rated Great
Rated ‘Great’ based on 9,820 reviews
Car insurance for expats in France from £325!

Why choose Sterling expat insurance if you live in France?

Some British expats who relocate to France prefer to take their UK-registered vehicle with them. It can be used to explore the region that’s now home, and also to pop back to the UK for visits.

Sterling has access to various insurance providers so you can be insured in France for the best deal. As long as your UK-registered car is in France for at least eight months of the year, we’ll provide insurance cover that meets the legal requirements.

Whether you’ve retired to the French Riviera, own a gite in the Loire Valley or have moved to Paris for work, Sterling will find you vehicle insurance cover that suits your needs.

Call us direct – our best prices are usually over the phone.

The benefits of getting a policy with Sterling

  • Prices start from £325
  • Cover for expats living in France
  • Travel for additional countries possible
  • Covers all types of car, van, camper and motorhome
  • Legal protection up to £100,000 included
  • European breakdown cover, keycare, misfuelling, windscreen (optional extras)
  • Claims hotline open 24/7

Prices start from £325 a year

Sterling compares prices from a panel of insurance companies so you get the very best deal. Phone one of our experts who will find a quote that works for you and your needs. Let us do all the work for you.

Cover for all types of car, camper and motorhome

With our policies, your vehicle must be registered in the UK and be used abroad for at least eight months of the year. We offer cover for all insurance groups and also modified cars, left hand drive imports or classic cars if you own something different.

Optional extras such as breakdown cover, misfuelling and keycare

Whether you breakdown in France or while you’re in the UK, Sterling’s home-start and breakdown cover can help you get back on the road. We also offer keycare, and windscreen as optional extras with our policies.

Cover for expats living in France

Sterling can insure a UK-registered vehicle whether you’ve retired to France or relocated there for work. We can also arrange cover if you plan on driving to additional European countries, and even further afield as well.

Legal protection up to £100,000 included

Our legal cover is a standard feature in our car insurance policies. So if you are ever involved in an accident that isn’t your fault, it can help you recover any out of pocket legal expenses afterwards.

Claims hotline is open 24/7

Sterling’s UK claims line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you need to make a claim, we will be here for your call.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

Frequently asked questions

  • Fully comprehensive as well as third party, fire and theft options available
  • Option of added protection to your No Claims Bonus
  • Modifications price-matched on a like-for-like basis
  • Independent agreed value cover available
  • Salvage retention options after an accident
  • Cover for dismantled parts
  • Uninsured loss recovery for non-fault claims

Insurance companies outside the UK can find it difficult to insure British cars owned by expats. Especially if you need to drive back to the UK regularly for work or to visit family and friends. A French insurer may also demand that you re-register your car in France.

Sterling offers specialist expat insurance for Brits. It provides affordable comprehensive cover while you live and drive in France, and Green Card insurance when you need to come back to the UK.

As long as you keep your UK-registered vehicle abroad for at least eight months of the year, Sterling will provide cover that allows you to use the same car, van or campervan in France that you drove in the UK. All documentation and correspondence will also be in the English language, even the small print.

Even better deals over the phone

Our best policies and prices do not appear on price comparison sites and are not available online.

So let us compare prices with the levels of cover available. We’ll take quotes from multiple insurance providers to ensure you get the very best deal.

Help is here when you need it

Sterling’s claim line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you ever need to make a claim, someone will be here for you at the other end of the phone.

Our staff are based in the UK

Whether you’re calling for a quote or want to make a claim, our staff are based in the UK and ready for your call.

As soon as you agree the policy terms, your insurance can be issued on the same day.

30 years’ experience in the industry

Our senior staff have been working in the insurance industry for 30 years.

It means we can help if you need to find cover for situations or circumstances that are a bit more specialist.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

New Customers
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.
Read more