Existing Customer Portal

20th May 2021

What you need to know about “UnSORNing” your car this summer

Close to 200,000 drivers SORNed their vehicle during the past 12 months, here we break down everything you need to do to UnSORN you vehicle.

Car Insurance from just £125 per year

If you SORNed your vehicle to save yourself some extra money while it was not in use, you may be wondering how to UnSORN it. 

There are a variety of reasons as to why you made your car SORN, from road tax to delaying your MoT with the knowledge that you weren’t going to use your vehicle for a while. 

How to UnSORN a vehicle

The good news is that UnSORNing your vehicle is quick and easy. The quickest way is by renewing your car tax online, using the Government website. In order to do this, you will need the 16 digit reference number from your tax renewal letter or the 11 digit reference number from your registration document, also known as your V5C form.

You will also need valid insurance and a valid MoT certificate which will be checked by the system. As soon as your vehicle has been taxed, it automatically becomes UnSORN.

If you buy a vehicle that already has a SORN made by the previous owner, it will expire when you buy the vehicle. You’ll need to make a new SORN following the steps above if you want to keep the vehicle off the road.

What happens if you don’t SORN a vehicle 

If you have a vehicle where the road tax has expired and you don’t wish to use it on the road, you must ensure you SORN the vehicle. Failing to do so could result in a fine of up to £2,500

How can Sterling help you?

No matter what vehicle you have, Sterling has you covered. We offer various insurance policies to help you stay safe. Whether you need standard car insurance or something a little more niche, give us a call on 0344 381 9990 for a quote.

Related blog posts