New Customers | Existing Customers

Get a free quote

Existing customers please call
Click here to close
Italy pinned on a map
Italy pinned on a map

Green Card Italy

If you’re looking for a holiday destination rich in beautiful landscapes, sunny beaches, historical architecture, and delicious food, you can’t go wrong by choosing Italy. And if you plan on driving there or around Europe, Sterling’s Green Card insurance will cover your road trip. Our prices start from £149 for a week’s cover.

Trustpilot logo
Rated Great
Rated ‘Great’ based on 3,938 reviews

Trustpilot logo
Rated Great
Rated ‘Great’ based on 3,938 reviews
Green Card insurance from just £149!

Why should I choose Green Card cover with Sterling?

A Green Card is documented proof that a British motorist has the adequate cover legally required for the country they are driving in.

When driving a UK-registered vehicle in an EU country such as Italy, motorists need to present the documentation related to their insurance at the borders of each country they visit. You can either buy insurance ahead of your trip or at the border itself.

Sterling has access to various insurance providers to find the best Green Card insurance for your trip to Italy.

Your vehicle must be UK-registered and our cover can include the countries you plan on driving through. We can also arrange travel documents before your departure.

We can also cover expats living in Italy for £325 a year.

The benefits of getting a policy with Sterling

  • Prices start from £149 for a week’s cover
  • Cover available for any UK-registered vehicle
  • Options for short term cover any length between 7 days and 12 months
  • Relevant travel documents can be issued prior to departure
  • For drivers aged 21 years or over
  • Legal protection up to £100,000 included
  • European breakdown cover, keycare, windscreen (optional extras)
  • Claims hotline open 24/7

Prices start from £149 for a week’s cover

Sterling compares prices from a panel of insurance providers so you get the very best deal. Short term cover of one, two or three months and longer-term annual policies are available. Cover is for drivers aged 21 years or over.

Cover for any UK-registered vehicle

Sterling can arrange Green Card cover for any UK-registered vehicle in Italy, whether you’re driving a car, van, motorhome or campervan. Phone one of our experts who will find an insurance company with a quote that works for you and your needs.

Green Cards for EU countries and beyond

There’s no end of possibilities for your next adventure. In fact, some tourists combine their tour of Italy with visits to neighbouring countries in the region. If you’re planning on doing this, let us know so we can make sure you have the right cover.

European breakdown cover, keycare, windscreen cover (optional extras)

If you happen to break down in Europe on your way to Italy, our European breakdown cover can help you get back on the road. We also offer keycare and windscreen cover as optional extras with our policies.

Legal protection up to £100,000 included

Our legal cover is a standard feature in our insurance policies. This means if you are ever involved in an accident that isn’t your fault, it can help you recover any out of pocket legal expenses afterwards.

Call us for the best deal

Our best policies do not appear on comparison sites and are not available online. Pick up the phone and call us for the very best deals on offer. Let us do the work and find Green Card cover for you.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

Frequently asked questions

We can offer the following, dependent on the policy selected:

  • Cover for all car insurance groups, including left-hand drive, classic cars and modified cars
  • Uninsured loss recovery for non-fault claims
  • Modifications price-matched on a like-for-like basis
  • Independent agreed value cover available
  • Salvage retention options after an accident
  • Cover for dismantled parts

Green Card insurance is an internationally recognised certificate that proves visiting motorists have the minimum compulsory cover required by the law of the country they visit.

Should you be required to show your insurance documents, you will need to show both your UK Certificate of Motor Insurance and Green Card Certificate. Both documents need to be physically printed documents and not versions stored electronically.

Now that the UK is no longer in the EU, it is a legal requirement that you carry a Green Card with you when you travel in Europe. If you’re planning to drive in Italy, be sure to check that you’ve got all the necessary travel documents before you start your journey.

A Green Card will also make things much easier if you need to make a claim or exchange details with another driver or the police.

If you’re planning a driving trip to Europe or beyond, you will want to feel confident that you have the right insurance cover in the event of an accident. Sterling offers Green Card insurance to drivers aged 21 years or over.

  • Get your Green Card paperwork organised with plenty of time before departure. 
  • Make sure the Green Card is valid for all the countries you are driving in, even if you are just driving through them. 
  • The Green Card documentation must have a minimum of 15 days cover from the date of travel. 
  • Motorists must travel with a printed copy of the Green Card paperwork.

Yes, it is. When you buy Green Card insurance, it will remain valid for the duration of the policy. 

Jazz, the Vatican, truffles, villas and history. There are so many reasons you might choose to visit Italy, and with its abundance of historical tourist attractions and stunning sights, it’s a great country to visit in your car.

Travelling in your car will allow you to see a range of different attractions, whether you want to see the Colosseum in Rome, the Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore in Florence, the canals of Venice or the Amalfi Coast.

Sterling does the hard work for you

We think our quotation service is one of the swiftest in the business and your policy will be issued on the same day you agree the deal.

Our best policies and prices do not appear on price comparison sites and are not available online.

Help is here when you need it

Sterling’s UK claim line is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

If you ever need to make a claim, someone will be here for you at the other end of the phone.

Our staff are based in the UK

Whether you’re calling for a quote or want to make a claim, our staff are based in the UK and ready for your call.

As soon as you agree the policy terms, your insurance can be issued on the same day.

30 years’ experience in the industry

Our senior staff have been working in the insurance industry for 30 years.

It means we can help if you need to find cover for situations or circumstances that are a bit more specialist.

Get a quote with us!

It's easy.

New Customers
This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish.
Read more